Seek and find the following:
Our Lady Queen of Apostles was estabilshed on April 24, 1917. In a declaration by John S. Foley, Bishop of Detroit, the Rev Roman Klafkowski was appointed the first Pastor and directed to serve the north-eastern portion of Hamtramck. Hamtramck was a village at this time. Many streets were unpaved, and the area was of marshes, farmland, scattered homes, vegetable gardens, poultry and cows.
With the enthusiastic backing of 23 families, Fr. Klafkowski purchased a 2 story home on Prescott, located on the site of the current rectory. One bedroom served as a confessional, the other a sacristy. On May 27, 1917 the Feast of the Pentecost, the first Mass was said.
Thirty-two parcels of land on Conant between Prescott and Harold were purchased. By October, 226 children were being taught by the Felician sisters in two private homes.
By Christmas Day 1917, the parish had purchased a church building from an Independent Polilsh Church. The wooden structure was moved by a team of horses from Conant and Belmont to Prescott St. There it was placed on the spot where the sanctuary of the present church is located.
By May 1918, an 8 classroom school was completed and still stands as part of the present school building. A convent for the Felician Sisters was also built in 1918.
On October 17, 1926, under the leadership of Fr. Stanislaus Wasilewski, ground breaking ceremonies were held for the purpose of starting the construction of a combined school-church building. The church would be on the main floor with the classrooms on the second floor and at the back of the building. The church seated 800 people and the cost was $120,000. This was to be a temporary situation.
Rev. Ladislaus Szok, the pastor began construction of the current church. Blessing and ground-breaking ceremonies took place on August 13, 1950. The cornerstone was laid on October 21, 1951. On November 17, 1952, Bishop Alexander Zaleski consecrated the Altars. On November 23, Cardinal Mooney dedicated the church and Fr. Szok offered the first solemn High Mass. Fr. Szok commented later "Our New church is not the largest or the most expensive, but, to us, it is the most beautiful."
The "new" church building was completed in 1952. The architect were Aloys Frank Herman and Howard Thomas Simons. the builder was Matthew Lalewicz, Inc.